Saturday, December 3, 2011

Current Event: Stockton Asian Farmer Market

Although Stockton is a city that is in the middle of nowhere and has no Asian resources like in Los Angeles, Stockton has an Asian farmer market that provides awesome, fresh Asian food resources for those who wish to buy cheap, Asian food (e.g, fresh Chinese soy milk). AS a matter of fact, I regularly attend this farmer market even since I found out about this resource since I am a big fan of Chinese soy milk and traditional Asian vegetables, such as Chinese spinach. Additionally, they sell tofu for ~ $0.50 to $0.75 (3x cheaper) than any store and sell green Chinese spinach and boy choy for the price of $5 for six of them.


If Confucius were alive today in Stockton, I believe he would try to go to this Asian farmer market weekly.  I believe this because this is a market run in the old traditional style, which is actually seen in other Asian countries as well.  Additionally, this is the type of market where the whole entire family participates in selling their produce and help out for the benefit of the family.  On the surface of watching the sellers, I was already able to discern the Confucian values of the "Five Relationships" and the important value of family helping each other.  The buyers like myself also come in families, which show how this simple early morning market activity is not just about "shopping" but rather a family gathering of quality hang-out time for the family members and even friends or acquaintances in the local community. For example, sometimes I even run to random people that I know from school (students or professors) or even members from my church.



1 comment: